What this is

If you've stumbled upon this by chance, this is a feature mini-blog from http://kornsarcade.blogspot.com/ , its parent blog. Just so it's into context, this is a list of games that fit pre-determined categories, presented one per day.

Saturday, June 11, 2011

Day 29: A game I thought I wouldn't like but ended up loving: Tomb Raider Legend



There's almost literally a ton of games I thought I wouldn't like but ended up loving, and let me tell you, it was a bitch to choose from them. Tron 2.0, Icewind Dale 2, F.E.A.R., AvP, Counter-Strike Source, hell, I even approached Baldur's Gate with a wary disposition back in the day. Legend gets the seat simply for my abysmal hate of the previous Tomb Raiders. Yeah, they sold like a gazillion copies, but I found them to be pretty bad games, all in all. Lara always felt like a placeholder with boobs for some other character. Not, I'm happy to say, in Legend. It was simple things that did it. More fluid movements made her not to feel like a robot, and the constant rapport on the radio and the snide remarks made her actually have a personality. Couple that with great platforming and a story she actually has personal stakes in, and you got one of the only two Tomb Raider games I've liked so far. Underworld followed the same formula, although it didn't do quite as well. The up and coming reboot, simply named Tomb Raider, like the original, promises to use a completely different, yet still interesting formula. Let's see how that will turn out. 

No comments:

Post a Comment